Thursday, February 6, 2020

Jimmy as John Lennon? (Jan. 15, 1982)




January 15, 1982

I dreamed I talked George Harrison into taking on Jimmy Garland as the replacement for John Lennon in the Beatles.
It was one of those strange musical movies where the hero struggles to get known throughout it and in the end makes good on stage.
In some ways I was Jimmy’s Brian Epstein pushing Jimmy into the limelight.
Yes, it was a silly dream, but one that touched upon a number of different parts in me. And I’m not sure that there weren’t other significant features in the dream that I missed.
Perhaps I was the biggest fan of all, standing on the sideline watching from the back of a big yellow bus (and the magical mystery tour) to the dark interior of some strange club in some small town.
I even pictured myself telling everyone that “I know Jimmy” and that Jimmy had a new band, then watched those people’s faces as they came into Harry’s place in Cedar Grove, shocked and surprised, and yet a pain in many ways.
Now I sit here awake and wonder where that dream came from. I wonder if it is somehow connected to my recent reconnecting with my ex-wife and some wish that we might get together again, knowing that it is about as remote a possibility as George Harrison taking on Jimmy for a reunited Beatles.
I know Jimmy would disagree. I’m sure if I asked him, he would even love the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment