Wednesday, February 5, 2020

A tape for Al in Portland (Dec. 12, 1971)

My drawing of Jimmy from my journal




Christmas Eve, 1971


   I found out about the event only when I got back from Portland, because Frank was peeved about his not having the chance to send the tape.
 They had partied at Jimmy’s house in Parsippany, with me as a focus, and I came back before they could find a stamp to mail the result.
 Frank had always had an obsession with tape, recording everything on his reel to reel that he could, from TV commercials to radio broadcasts, he believing that without his effort these things would cease to exit. He was wrong. The world had become obsessed as well, bent on putting our whole generation in a bottle.
 What was valuable came from us, these private moments, but he did not think to record them until Jimmy began by recording their trip to Nova Scotia made the previous summer, a tape he withheld for years just because he knew how much Frank wanted it, and how Frank hoarded these moments as if he might forget them if he didn’t have proof they actually transpired.
  I don’t know who all came to that Christmas Eve event, except for those I recognized on the tape, Jimmy, Alf, Frank, Garrick, Ginger, Rob, and a few others whose names and faces have faded into memory.
 I don’t even remember all that occurred.
 I remember Jimmy leading a perverted version of the 12 days of Christmas, and his recording of a Christmas version of Neil Young’s “Southern Man,” with lyrics like: “I hear bullwhips snapping” and “Santa Claus, won’t you...” I remember also Jimmy screaming about the cat that had just knocked down his brand-new Sony color TV.
 While they were recording this event, Louise and I spent our last Christmas on the road, in the North Lombard apartment in Portland, Oregon, after having lost our last good friend from our Los Angeles days, and were fearful of the police who we now knew were watching us. We had made the mistake of allowing two 16-year-olds to use our apartment for the lovemaking only to find out later the girl was the daughter of the police captain.
 By Christmas we had already made up our minds to come East again, after less than a year living in Portland for our second time. Frank had written previously to tell us that he was thinking of buying a diner and that if we came back, we could work there, and that he would find us a place to live, both wondrous attractions that proved later false hopes.
 Joe’s Diner went out of business just after Christmas, and Frank had no more money to buy it than we did and was eventually knocked down to make room for a bank.
 Perhaps I just wasn't thinking clearly enough, or I might have seen the trap. But I had just given up speed, after giving up LSD the previous spring, and still hadn’t brought myself into a reasonable line of thinking, still fooling myself with the idea that I might yet make something of myself -- without first coming back to face the music with my family, from whom I had taken a quantity of money in 1969.
 I believed foolishly that we could travel east and live without fear of my uncles. This idea evaporated by January when we actually made the trip east and found ourselves without home or money, and no prospects for a job. Coming back to New Jersey meant traveling familiar streets, always with the possibility I might meet a member of my family at any turn.
 But at Christmas, sitting in the Portland apartment, I didn’t know anything about that, and felt rather empty, as if three years of running had gotten me nowhere, and it hadn’t.




Links to xmas tapes 

1971 Xmas tapes Part 1

1971 Xmas Tapes Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment