Sunday, February 23, 2020

Jimmy and Ginger together again? (May 28, 1997)


May 28, 1997


Jimmy said it best a few weeks ago when he sighed and claimed nothing changed between himself and Ginger.
I didn’t ask for details, except to learn that Ginger still embraces some new age concepts, searching for answers just the way she did way back when we knew her during her Buddhist phase.
She managed to convert most of us – at least temporarily.
When Jimmy brought it up last week, I didn’t fully comprehend his meaning, whether or not he was complaining or setting some new roadblock as to getting together with her again.
Back in the mid-1970s I got my fill of a two-person symposium on Jimmy and Ginger, when Ginger’s sister, Mary came east, and I had to listen to her, and Frank lay out what they thought Jimmy was doing wrong.
I got so angry at Frank over it I didn’t talk to him for a week.
Frank always envied Jimmy, even going to far as to think they looked enough alike to have been brothers in some previous life. He once wondered if he could accomplish this in this life by marrying Mary in order to become Jimmy’s brother-in-law, if Jimmy ever managed to marry Ginger as well.
Frank, like the rest of us, envied Jimmy’s relationship with Ginger.
Mary and Frank were soul mates in regard to Jimmy, both agreeing that Jimmy was at fault for the failed relationship with Ginger, laying out theories as to what Jimmy needed to do to make amends.
Jimmy, of course, rarely conforms to other people’s opinions. His idea of survival or love or anything differs sharply from mine, Garrick, Frank and even Ginger.
Yet in some ways, he is the most practical man I know (some might say selfish) knowing exactly what he needs and laying out plans to get those needs satisfied.
Maybe I’m wrong and Frank right; maybe Jimmy doesn’t know how to commit to anything and what I see as practicality is merely avoidance.
The fact that he and Ginger reconnected strikes me as a good thing. Maybe I’m wrong about that, too.






No comments:

Post a Comment