Friday, April 10, 2020

Jimmy wants a lizard (Nov. 11, 1983)




November 11, 1983

Jimmy told me to meet him at the Fotomat booth so I could drive him up to the mall to buy a lizard.
I knew he was lying – Jimmy always says one thing when he means another – but it was such an interesting lie I agreed if only to find out what he was really up to.
I figured he just didn’t want to have to walk in the dark in the rain and wanted me to drive him to the bank with the night’s deposit and then drive him home again.
The problem is when I got to the booth, he wasn’t there. I drove up the road to the bank, then back, and to the bank again in case I missed him, but didn’t see him coming or going, and so I was shocked to find him at the booth when I got back and hear him complain how little he could trust me to be on time when I was there early.
He was dripping just enough from the rain to convince me that perhaps he had walked to the bank like he said he had, and I had someone missed him in the dark.
When he got into the car, he surprised me by insisting we drive to the mall.
“For a lizard?” I asked.
“Of course, for the lizard,” he said.
I suppose there is something wrong with me, my getting angry at what are Jimmy’s typical antics. I should shrug these off, but rarely do, and so driving, I got into a mood I couldn’t get out of even at the thought that Jimmy needed me to help him buy a lizard – which I knew he really didn’t want, and that he would soon unveil his real intention a moment or so before we reached the place where he really needed to do – in this case Pearl Paint for supplies.
Later, he would try to make up for this deception by giving me the painting of a lizard he said he did just for me – though oddly enough, somewhere down deep in that twisted maze of his mind, I knew he really did want a lizard.




Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment