Monday, April 13, 2020

A matter of money? (Nov. 27, 1983)




Nov. 27, 1983

Money matters, even when Jimmy pretends it doesn’t.
Our agreement when he moved in with me is that he would pay $40 towards the rent and half the utility – which took me a while to realize doesn’t nearly cover the overall expenses we incur.
At the time, I was working more or less part time at the Fotomat; Jimmy wasn’t working at all. He asked me to get him a job, and then set up shop while waiting for me to accomplish it, sipping his morning coffee or puffing his evening joint.
Finally, I gave him the job I had and went back to baking up in Willowbrook Dunkin, a far harder, but better paying job, but also an increase in costs since I had to pay for gas and upkeep on the car.
Still, Jimmy complained, and somehow managed to shift the bulk of the bills onto me – I guess assuming now that I had a better paying job than he did, I could afford it.
He frequently ran out of money early in the week, asking me for small loans he conveniently forgot to repay when he got paid.
This week I realized that he arranged for me to do shopping a few days after his payday, managing to put off paying his share of that until the following payday, often paying me less than half on the claim he needs to pay other bills.
If I complain, he looks at me as if I’ve offended him, as if I’m greedy, as if I value cash more than our friendship.



Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment